Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Potato Salad

Sometimes it's difficult to get through a 5 lb. bag of potatoes when there's only two people in the house, and you've already done mashed potatoes AND Kale and Potato Soup. I often have some laying around waiting to be thrown together into something special. This time: potato salad. Perfect and humble fare on a dreary New Year's day with nowhere to go. I know this is a dish you think of more in the summertime, but as a southerner, any time is a good occasion for potato salad!

My recipe is one that I made up over time, or just depending on my mood. There are a myriad of options when choosing your ingredients, but I keep it pretty classic. This is also a recipe where the flavor is dependent on the quality of ingredients, so buy organic if you can. You'll think me!



 It's best to prepare the salad at least an hour in advance to let all the flavors marry together.

Start by rinsing and boiling your potatoes of choice. I had about 2 lbs. of small Yukon Golds around, but most people like reds. Boil them to the point a fork can be inserted easily, but not falling apart and watery; about 15 minutes. Remember to salt the water!

At the same time, boil 2 eggs. Here is how to perfectly boil eggs. Put eggs in the fridge for 30 minutes while you let the potatoes cool. This makes both easier to work with.


While they are cooling, dice half a small red onion, a few stalks green onions and few sprigs dill. I love dill, so I tend to use a lot! Put them all in a large bowl and enjoy the pretty colors. Remember: the more colorful your food the better it is for you. Always strive for a veritable rainbow on your dinner plate.


De-shell cooled eggs and chop, along with potatoes. The size is, again, up to you. Add to bowl along with a large dollop of mayo, small dollop dijon mustard, a little relish, and a splash apple cider vinegar. Stir it all together and taste test. Doctor it up with salt and pepper or any other spices you feel it needs. Chill in the fridge at least an hour.


There you have it! I served this with thick slices of warmed Black Forest ham and sauteed broccolini with garlic butter I keep in the freezer. Enjoy!




My Classic Potato Salad

Ingredients: 

About 2 lbs. yukon gold potatoes, cleaned and cut in half
2 eggs
1/2 small red onion
few green onions
few sprigs fresh dill
mayo
dijon mustard
relish
apple cider vinegar
S&P as needed


Boil potatoes for 15 minutes in salted water. Boil eggs. Let both cool for about 30 minutes on counter or fridge. 

Meanwhile, dice up onions and dill. Add to a large bowl. 

De-shell and chop eggs and potatoes and add to bowl. 

Stir all together with a large dollop mayo, small dollop mustard, relish, and splash red wine vinegar. Add more as needed along with salt and pepper to taste. 

Let chill in fridge at least one hour. 



2 comments:

  1. I've never made potato salad with dill and apple cider vinegar but I will try it the next time I make potato salad!!! Sounds yummy! Aunt D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You absolutely should! It makes the whole dish, I think.

    ReplyDelete